Golf Fundraiser 2021 – Michael Gruber
What is the Cures Within Reach Golf Fundraiser?
A golf event, unlike any other.
For over 10 years, golfers have been raising funds for medical repurposing research at Cures Within Reach’s annual golf event. In 2021, we’re returning to Rich Harvest Farms, an exclusive private course rarely accessible by non-members and named the 5th best new private course in the US by Golf Digest when it debuted in 1999.
Your support allows us to improve patient quality and length of life by leveraging the speed, safety and cost-effectiveness of medical repurposing research, driving more treatments to more patients more quickly.
The COVID19 pandemic has shined a spotlight on the opportunity that drug repurposing provides: the fastest way to therapeutic impact is testing already approved therapies for new indications in randomized controlled trials. We support quickly testing drugs, devices and more that are already safe and effective for one disease to treat another disease.
In 2021, a portion of the proceeds from this event will help to fund Pediatric projects. We will be selecting the winning project(s) at our CureAccelerator Live! for Rare Diseases philanthropic pitch event on June 10-11, 2021.
Together, over the years our players have created amazing impact, changing lives for patients with:
- Infectious Disease: COVID19, tuberculosis, dengue
- Oncology: metastatic thyroid cancer, brain cancer, prostate cancer, pediatric cancer
- Pediatric Disease: autoimmune diseases, oncology, rare liver disease, malnutrition
- Neurological Disease: Alzheimer’s disease, autism
Funds raised at the 2020 event helped to find, select and manage the following four infectious disease clinical repurposing research trials, including in COVID19:
- Can Vitamin D Reduce the Burden of COVID-19 in Chicago? in Black and Latinx communities led by Dr. Meltzer at University of Chicago
- Repurposing an Antidepressant to Prevent Hospitalization in COVID-19 led by Dr. Rado of Northwestern University‘s COVID-19 trial using fluvoxamine
- Repurposing a Flu Treatment for Severe Dengue Patients led by Dr. Chang at George Washington University
- Treating Tuberculosis with the Lipid Lowering Drug Atorvastatin led by Dr. Adewole at Obafemi Awolowo University in Nigeria
Funds raised at the 2019 event helped to find, select and manage the following two pediatric clinical repurposing research trials:
- The THRIVE Study: Repurposing Fecal Microbiota Transplantation for the Treatment of Pediatric Malnutrition in South Africa by Dr. Osman at OpenBiome
- Repurposing a Blood Cancer Drug to Treat an Immune Disorder (HLH) in Children by Dr. Nichols at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
Funds raised at the 2018 event helped to find, select and manage two cancer-related clinical repurposing research trials:
- Repurposing Old Drugs as New Therapies for Metastatic Thyroid Cancer: by Dr. Swiecicki of the University of Michigan
- A Novel Combination of Generic Chemotherapy Drugs to Treat Brain Cancer: by Dr. Tannous and Dr. Arrillaga-Romany of Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School and Dr. Kouwenhoven of VUmc Cancer Center Amsterdam
How does it work?
Registered players contribute or raise a minimum of $1,500, with many players raising $2,000 to -$5,000. On June 2, players will join us at Rich Harvest Farms for an incredible day of golf, lunch, cocktail hour, and more!
All funds donated to Cures Within Reach may be tax deductible for federal income tax purposes. CWR is recognized by the IRS as a 501(c)3 tax-exempt not-for-profit organization, tax ID 20-3620169.
Want to stretch your dollar and increase your impact? There are TWO ways: 1. Donate via bank transfer instead of credit card to significantly lower our fees! Select “Bank Withdrawal” near the bottom of the form below. 2. Many companies offer a matching gift program. To DOUBLE your impact, please ask your employer/HR department if matching donations are possible.
To send a check by mail, please note our new address:
134 N. LaSalle St.
Chicago, IL 60602